There's a good reason why nurses choose to do what they do. Few other professions are as noble or rewarding on so many levels compared to nursing. Being a nurse means showing compassion and caring for countless people from one day to the next. It takes a special person to devote their lives to this occupation.
Every nurse can use a reminder of their value on days where the shifts feel longer and it seems like everyone is taking their service for granted. That's one reason why inspirational quotes on nursing can serve such a useful purpose. These sayings serve as a refresher on why a nurse's job matters so much. They will uplift you on days when you need an extra boost.
Enjoy this selection of 10 classic nurse sayings to boost your spirits:
- "They may forget your name but they will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
- "You treat a disease: You win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarantee you win. No matter the outcome." – Patch Adams
- "To do what nobody else will do, in a way that nobody else can do, in spite of all we go through ... that is what it is to be a nurse.” – Rawsi Williams
- "Nursing is an art: and if it is to be made an art, it requires an exclusive devotion as hard a preparation, as any painter's or sculptor's work; for what is the having to do with dead canvas or dead marble, compared with having to do with the living body, the temple of God's spirit? It is one of the Fine Arts: I had almost said, the finest of Fine Arts." – Florence Nightingale
- “When you’re a nurse you know that every day you will touch a life or a life will touch yours.” – Author Unknown
- "Nurses dispense comfort, compassion, and caring without even a prescription." – Val Saintsbury
- “Panic plays no part in the training of a nurse.” – Elizabeth Kenny
- "Nursing would be a dream job if there were no doctors." – Gerhard Kocher
- "Man who want pretty nurse must be patient." – Confucious
- “Nursing is not for everyone. It takes a very strong, intelligent, and compassionate person to take on the ills of the world with passion and purpose and work to maintain the health and well-being of the planet. No wonder we’re exhausted at the end of the day!” – Donna Wilk Cardillo
Nursing is not about losing sleep, working long shifts or filling out paperwork. It is rooted in caring. Nurses are there to make a patient feel comfortable and safe when they receive medical care. Their job is to make a patient's life better at a time when they need it most. These nurse sayings offer a perfect reminder of what makes nurses so indispensable to everyone.